Sunday, July 18, 2010

"Goo! Please Play Legos!"

Yesterday, the shopping was needing to be done and it was my week to do so. Heather and I alternate weeks, and so I prepared to go to the grocery store as Heather was finishing the list. Since it was getting to be late in the morning and Heather was depending on what I brought home for the children's lunches, I could not waste any time dawdling about. As I slipped on my shoes, Tommy ran up to me and said, "Goo! Please play Lego's?"

Tommy has recently discovered the magical power of the word Please! This word has opened up a whole new world for him, so he is convinced that Goo will stop what she is doing and immediately bend to his request. It was heart wrenching to have to tell Tommy that I could not play. He followed me to my room with such a sad face and looked up at me and again said, "Play Lego's. Please Goo!" My heart melted into a puddle on the floor for this is the first time he has ever invited me to play his with his favored Lego's.

After arriving home from the grocery store and getting everything upstairs and put away, I became involved in projects around the house and Tommy had forgotten about his request. The rest of the day was taken up by the various things that one does on a lazy Saturday afternoon and "Goo" did not play with Tommy and his prized Lego's.

Today after church, Tommy ate lunch and took his nap. The afternoon was a lazy afternoon with the children watching a Pippi Longstocking movie. After the movie, I found myself changing a load of laundry from washer to dryer and then reloading the washer with yet another load. Tommy came to me and asked, "Goo! Please play Lego's?"

The world stopped at this point in time. The washer sat half full for the next hour as Tommy and I sat on the floor and built train overpasses and tunnels and light sabers and cars and . . . Tommy is now downstairs playing with his beloved Buzz Lightyear, and I sit content to hear his little voice as he and Pippi play together. The washer is now whirling and doing the job it was enlisted to do.

All is right in our world.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Royal National in London