Saturday, July 3, 2010

Not Once, But Twice!

When our granddaughter, Pipi, was 2 months old, my husband, Mike, and I moved in with our oldest daughter, Heather and her husband Chris. We lived with them for 2 1/2 years and had the most delightful time watching Pipi grow and mature. The family unity was strong. We thank God for the time we had with them.

At the 2 1/2 year mark our grandson, Tommy, was born. He was then and still is so precious. When he was one month old I had a heart attack. At the age of fifty, I found myself in the ER hearing shouts of MI and Heparin. Less then an hour after I arrived at the hospital I was in the cath lab and a stint was inserted. I had a complete blockage of the right coronary artery. Wow! I never would have thought. Fortunately the heart attack was mild. After two weeks of recovery at home, I returned to work.

After many talks and prayer, Mike and I decided to get our own place. Although the unity was still very strong between all of us, we felt it was time for the kids to have the house to themselves.

The Lord blessed us with a home. We quickly became first time home buyers and God blessed us with a wonderful realtor. He helped us through all the needed paperwork and all the things a home buyer needs to know.

We have been in our home for a little over two years now and we love it. The back yard was baren and in need of help when we moved in. Now it is full of fruit, vegetable and flower gardens. With a big live oak tree in the center of the yard, we enjoy wonderful shade.

About October, Heather was discussing with us the possible need to go to work. The economy has struck their family and they desire to get out of debt. Since she had made a commitment to home school her children, going to work at this point in her life seemed so wrong. Mike and I agreed instantly that the solution would be to have them move in with us. After much prayer they agreed and decided to sell their house.

So now, for approximately 7 months, we are back together living in unity all under one roof. Adjustments needed to be made by all. Everything that had to be done was well worth doing.

What have we lost? Space! Both families had to give up the space each was use to having.

What have we gained? More than any of us will ever be able to imagine.

Teaching Pipi, now 4 1/2 years old, how to knit and having Goo time. (My name to the grandchildren is Goo). Showing her where middle C is on the piano and explaining what an octave is and then watching her find all of the Cs on the piano keyboard. Listening to her read her first book by herself with little coaching. Telling stories and listening to them. Watching Tommy, now two, with the biggest smile on his face as he sees his trains and reading train books. Watching him playing with snails and anything else that rings boy. Goo popping popcorn for movie night and observing the children dig out all the hidden candy treasures and leaving most of the popcorn behind. Watching Heather and Chris loving one anther and their children and teaching them about Jesus.

We are not sure whether or not our living together will be permanent or not. For now, we relish the time we have with one another. We thank God for the relationships we are building with one anther. We all are richer for it.

Many families are choosing to live together under one roof.

This blog is dedicated to those who make such a decision to improve the lives of all. It is not easy. It is hard work, compromise, love and prayer.

God bless you all in your endeavors.

3 comments:

  1. Love it! Congratulations! No wonder you were up so late. I couldn't sleep either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations too, Chris, it's great to see you and Heather blogging. She's had a wonderful start, in a few days she is walking as an experienced blogger...that has to be because she is a wonderful writer, and NOW I SEE WHERE IT COMES FROM...
    Chris, last week I feel I didn't give you proper attention because it's not good to talk to someone and be in front of a computer, I should have know better, but I'm that type that needs to finish what she started (a bit OC personality LOL), but I'm glad you have this blog that I'll be reading and I'll get to see you more times to get to know you more.
    I didn't know you had a stroke. I'm glad you recovered and I believe your experience with the stroke and your living arrangements in your family will be of help an inspiration to other families.
    Soon I plan to post about your blog in case some of my readers are interested on reading about this topic.
    Your grandchildren are precious, and I'm glad that you are a big big part of their life now.
    Congratulations, Miss Goo, and we'll stay in touch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Silvia,
    Thank you so much for your encouragement.

    You did not offend me in any way the other day. You are a delightful young woman and I understand why you were at the computer. I have the same drive when I am trying to finish something.

    Your children are wonderful and I do look forward to getting to know them and you. I love to hear family stories from other families. They enrich my life.

    Thank you so much for being such a good friend to Heather and her family. You are a blessing and a breath of fresh air.

    Until we meet again.

    ReplyDelete

Royal National in London